Ottawa is an established, internationally recognized centre of excellence in communications technology which continues to shape the wireless industry worldwide. Home to the top five mobile backhaul equipment market vendors, the top ten optical network hardware vendors and 90% of telecommunications research, Ottawa is a global leader developing the future of communication networks.
Accelerating the growth of this cluster in Ottawa are a plethora of research and development (R&D) facilities like:
- Communications Research Centre (CRC), a federally-funded centre of excellence specializing in wireless telecom
- Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre (CPFC), the only pure play optical fabrication centre in North America
- Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN), brings together the supply chain of multinational industry leaders and removes barriers to commercialization by providing access to a world-class platform for validating advanced products, applications and services
- David Florida Laboratory, the Canadian Space Agency’s spacecraft assembly, integration and testing centre
- Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC), Canada’s leader in defence and security science and technology (S&T)