Who Should Attend?
Intersol’s Foundation Course in Group Facilitation is a three-day course ideal for anyone who wants to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of meetings they lead or participate in.
These days, more and more of us are spending more and more of our time in meetings – sharing ideas, solving problems, making decisions and planning for action. But if you ask people about those meetings – how effective and efficient they are – the answers are often disappointing. Ask them for the chief causes of poor meetings, and they’ll probably complain about the time wasted:
- when meetings don’t start on time
- bringing latecomers up-to-date
- when the purpose of the meeting isn’t clear
- when there’s no agenda
- when people come with their own “hidden” agendas
- when people come unprepared
- when critical people don’t show up or cancel at the last minute
- when one or two individuals dominate the discussions
- when meetings go off track with discussion of unplanned topics
- when closed mindedness causes disruptive conflict
- when the Storytellers, the Nay-sayers and the Whiners take over
- when individuals build roadblocks in an effort to get their own way
- when meetings don’t end on time
This course will help you gain the confidence and ability to use a selection of proven facilitation processes and techniques. You’ll walk away able to design, lead and participate in more effective and efficient meetings that improve the quality of peoples’ participation and creativity.
Participation in this workshop will improve your confidence and ability to:
- Design and lead effective meetings, group planning sessions and other facilitated events
- Facilitate processes designed to analyse issues and problems, and make decisions
- Utilize a variety of processes and techniques to improve group productivity, creativity and participation
- Reduce the negative impacts of dysfunctional behaviours and participation problems
- Topics include, but are not limited to:
Setting Meetings Up for Success
- the fundamentals of group facilitation
- creating the right atmosphere
- basic tools and techniques of facilitation
- facilitation and team effectiveness
- the dynamics of teams and groups
- the facilitator as a role model
- dealing with dysfunctional behaviours and participation problems
- brainstorming techniques
- issue analysis
- affinity diagram
- problem analysis
- decision making
- action research
- components of effective meetings
- road maps and agendas
- tips, tricks and energizers
- setting the stage – logistics and room setups
What People Say about the Course
- An amazing course. The Facilitator’s Tool Box manual is now my “bible”
- This course has had huge impact in my work and personal life.
- This is one of the best courses I have ever taken
- This course as a milestone in my life. It’s made a tremendous impact on the way I interact with others.
For all inquiries, please contact Leen Al-Jaber at 613-230-6424 ext 112 or [email protected] For more information about cancellations and refunds, please visit our Refund Policy page.