Come and join us at Green Drinks Ottawa for interesting, and inspiring conversation. The Green Talk starts at 5:30pm.
First round of appetizers compliments of SMARTNet Alliance (http://www.smartnetalliance.ca)!
PLEASE RSVP before the event so that we can better manage the flow at the registration table: http://bit.ly/2B1D7Ij. Thank you!
September Green Speaker Spotlight:
Dr. Art Hunter
Energy Freedom Project
For the past three years, Art has been developing a very comprehensive microgrid living laboratory in Ottawa. Recently, he and his wife have been living on 100% electrification with a microgrid system that has:
- An Electric Vehicle with 14 kWh storage battery
- Building heating and cooling with a geothermal heat pump (often called a Ground Source Heat Pump – GSHP) with a smart GSHP thermostat
- 100% domestic hot water (DHW) heating with a GSHP and a very smart DHW thermostat
- 10 kW rooftop solar under the microFIT program
- 4.9 kW (of the approved 10 kW) rooftop solar under the NetMetering program
- Three Tesla Powerwall 2AC batteries with about 40 kWh storage capacity
- A dedicated control room with multiple computer platforms
- A control system using many sensors and actuators
- A dual ground heat exchanger using Svec Coils.
All energy to run the house and the EV comes from the sun via solar panels and ground heating. Managing electrical and thermal energy flows and storage permits operations in unique modes.
- A financial mode where the objective is to “make money” either directly selling energy or through savings by not purchasing fossil fuels.
- An energy efficient mode where home occupants make minimal number of habit changes while automatically enjoying the same comforts that existed prior to conversion to 100% solar electricity.
- A highly efficient energy miser configuration (operations in long-term off-grid survival mode). Survival is central and survival with comfort is desired.
- Operations in a day-ahead emergency preparedness mode as severe weather systems or other threats are forecast
- Operations in a mode that is preparing for one, two or three seasons into the future. Rather like a squirrel gathering summer food for use in the winter.
- Operations in maintenance mode when equipment requires manual interventions.
- Operations in a FAIL SAFE mode.
Often one or more of the above modes are operational simultaneously in whole or in part. Measured performance to date demonstrates a 550% efficiency (Coefficient of Performance of 5.5) with solar energy providing home cooling. No grid energy required.
Dr. Art Hunter is a graduate from the Royal Military College, Imperial College (U of London – Aeronautical), and the National Defence College (XXXVIII). He held spacecraft design positions with Telesat Canada, the Communications Technology Satellite project and was the Project Manager for the Canadarm for Space Shuttle project at the National Research Council of Canada. He was president of Drex Engineering Consultants for over 30 years and has a broad knowledge of many technical disciplines. Art is on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Association for the Club of Rome and is their Webmaster http://canadiancor.com.
Haven’t been to a Green Drinks event before? Click on the link to watch a video and learn more about this event: https://youtu.be/uC8ZB4Y9rBs.
Join the Ottawa Renewable-Green Energy Meetup Group and stay up-to-date on our upcoming speakers: