Once you have hired your first employee, all Human Resources (HR) responsibility falls squarely on your shoulders as the employer. Both employees and legislative bodies have expectations and hold business owners and managers accountable – regardless of organization size. It’s up to you to ensure that your HR practices are supporting your business. Your actions now will establish your HR foundation and culture – for better or for worse – which will be difficult to change over time.
In this overview, you will learn how to start planning for the creation of a relatively simple yet effective and sustainable Human Resources framework that fits your business.
• Defining and understanding Human Resources and its components
• The power of engagement
• The costs and risks of weak people practices
• The realities and challenges for SMEs
• How to start planning an HR framework that fits your business
This session will illustrate how sound basic HR practices are:
- an investment – with significant positive returns – in your: business, employees, sanity (!)
- so powerful (when done well) that an organization usually doesn’t need anything else
- neither complicated nor expensive – “KISS” principle
- what really defines the employment relationship & culture
- key to engaging and motivating employees when implemented well
About the Presenter: Irene Lis is the founder of Aligned People Strategies Inc., a management and human resources advisory firm. Irene has 27+ years of extensive human resources experience helping organisations ensure that their people practices support their business. Skilled as an advisor, ombudsperson, strategist and implementer, Irene’s niche is establishing HR functions and practices in organizations where none have existed, ensuring alignment of business strategy with people practices. Irene can be reached at [email protected] or 613-225-2739.