Calling all first responders, public safety, defence and security professionals, technology developers and adopters from government, industry, academia, the investment community, and non-profit sector.
This is your opportunity to engage innovators and leaders across this sector and discover how 5G and emerging technologies are creating new life-saving capabilities, solutions and impact for first responders. These innovative applications are increasing the efficiency, performance and safety of firefighters, police officers, paramedics and emergency management teams, as well as the people and communities they serve.
This event will provide inspiration, information and actionable insight you can put to work, unleash imagination and explore the art of the possible. It will stimulate important discussion on:
- The critical life-saving role and stories of first responders, and the current and future needs, opportunities and challenges facing emergency management teams;
- How advanced technologies (such as AR/VR, AI, IOT, Big Data and 5G Networking) and innovative applications in public safety could help to address these needs, and better equip emergency management teams
- The innovation-enabling infrastructure available to help innovators, technology developers, startups, scaleups, SMEs, first responders and their collaborators achieve key R&D and innovation goals in public safety. This includes next generation network programs such as ENCQOR (Evolution of Networked Services through a Corridor in Québec and Ontario for Research and Innovation), Area X.O, and the Open Innovation Program with NIST’s Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) division in Colorado
Agenda at a Glance
- 2:00 PM: Welcome and introduction; Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa, Bayview Yards and Area X.O
- 2:05 PM: 5G Innovation and ENCQOR
- 2:10 PM: Panel 1 – Leveraging 5G and Emerging Technologies to Address First Responder Needs and Opportunities
- 2:48 PM: Panel 2 – Emerging Technology Applications for First Responders and Global Market Opportunities
- 2:58PM: Concluding remarks; Philippa King, Director Digital Economy Technologies, Ontario Centre of Innovation (OCI)
We are delighted to welcome the following leaders to our virtual stage:
- Manjula Selvarajah, our panel moderator and Canadian technology columnist with segments airing on CBC Radio’s 20+ radio stations across the country and guest host on CBC’s Ontario weekend show
Panel 1 – Leveraging 5G and Emerging Technologies to Address First Responder Needs and Opportunities featuring:
- Paul Martin, Founder, President and CEO of APX Data, a scaling Ottawa tech firm that has developed a suite of solutions deployed in 100 cities across North America that help firefighters reduce risk and save lives by providing real-time access to accurate data during an emergency.
- Philip Reece, Founder & CEO of InDro Robotics, a company based at Area X.O with unmatched UAV expertise to operate in unprecedented ways utilizing commercial drones and UAVs to monitor and collect data, and to provide many services to industries such as fire and rescue.
- Alex Shortt, Co-Founder and CTO, Longan Vision, an SME that has leveraged ENCQOR and Area X.O capabilities that has developed enhanced vision and communication devices enabling first responders to face extreme challenges.
- Regina Wilson, a veteran firefighter of 22 years; 12th African American woman to join the FDNY; and first woman President of the Black Firefighters’ Vulcan Society (2015). She was also one of the 1,000 first responders on-site at the World Trade Centre Towers on 9/11.
Panel 1 Overview
This panel will bring together emerging technology SME leaders and first responders to discuss how advanced technologies (such as 5G, AR/VR, AI, IoT, CAVs and drones) could help to address key first responder needs and opportunities on the ground – today and tomorrow. These include:
- Increased situational awareness, timely, predictive data-driven insight
- Real time monitoring, data gathering, sharing and analysis for rapid decision-making and action
- Early warnings, threat identification and risk mitigation
- More effective resource allocation, coordination, and delivery
- Improved incident planning, response, and public safety impact
- These panelists will provide their expert opinions on the critical needs of emergency response teams and how technology can help to address these requirements.
Panel 2 – Emerging Technology Applications for First Responders and Global Market Opportunities featuring:
- Kevin Byrnes, a Microsoft Industry Executive with a broad technology and public safety background. He brings expertise in first responder market opportunities, and how emerging technologies can deliver transformational solutions with an ecosystem of innovative partners.
- Kelly Daize, Director at Area X.O operated by Invest Ottawa, the futureplex of innovation and collaboration. With responsibility for managing key Area X.O programs and business development, she brings more than 20 years of experience in the global tech sector.
- Greg Furlong, Paramedic Portfolio Manager with Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC). With over 20 years of experience in public safety, he also served as Deputy Chief with the Ottawa Paramedic Service responsible for communications, technology, and analytics.
- Carolann Harding, Executive Director of SmartICE, an award-winning technological innovation for the North, and world’s first climate change adaptation tool to integrate knowledge of sea ice with advanced data acquisition and remote monitoring technology.
- Ellen Ryan, Deputy Division Chief and team lead for the Open Innovation Program with NIST’s Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) division. She brings more than 20 years of industry experience in telecommunications R&D.
Panel 2 Overview
This panel will bring together entrepreneurs, innovators, and innovation enablers to discuss emerging technologies and applications in public safety and associated global market opportunities. This includes:
- How entrepreneurs, startups and SMEs can leverage 5G and related technologies to achieve a greater competitive edge in this dynamic sector
- The importance of testing, validation, and demonstration of new technologies with target first responders, and how it increases commercial potential, customer, and investor confidence
- The power and impact of research and technology development collaboration, and how to leverage collaborators, shared capabilities, and resources to accelerate innovation adoption
- Trends, emerging global market opportunities, prospects, and predictions
For additional information on:
• ENCQOR, please visit: https://www.encqor.ca/
• Area X.O operated by Invest Ottawa: www.areaxo.ca
• Watch the Area X.O launch video: https://bit.ly/3oxiqsT