Women Leading Globally in Cybersecurity – Breaking Barriers, Boundaries and Billion-Dollar Markets
uOttawa and Invest Ottawa together will host this exciting event on March 2nd!
Four million. This is the number of cybersecurity professionals required around the world. With two million highly skilled people currently employed internationally in cybersecurity, there is a growing labour shortage in this critical field. And this gap is widening with the global pandemic.
The Challenge: It is not simply a labour gap – it is a gender and diversity gap. Research from Cybersecurity Ventures (2019) projected that women make up just 20% of the global cybersecurity workforce. This is a risk that threatens our collective long-term competitiveness, prosperity and security as a global society.
The Solution: It will take the development of a robust, diverse and inclusive cybersecurity talent pipeline to address these challenges, seize the new market opportunity and economically empower more women in this field. It will take collaborative, strategic action to move this dial. Are you ready to drive change?
Join the University of Ottawa and Invest Ottawa to:
- Explore the state of global cybersecurity, including key opportunities, needs, threats and big ideas;
- Acquire inspiration, actionable insight and thought leadership with hands-on learning and interactive engagement;
- Drive measurable commitment, action and change with a focus on impactful strategies to develop, attract and retain a highly diverse and inclusive talent pipeline with strong women cyber leaders; and
- Recognize and celebrate women cybersecurity changemakers, leaders and influencers from every walk of life in cybersecurity.
1:00 PM to 1:10 PM
- Sophia Leong, Executive Lead, Development and International Relations, University of Ottawa, and Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa, Bayview Yards and Area X.O, Co-MCs
Panel: State of the Union in Cybersecurity – Opportunities, Challenges & Big Ideas
1:10 PM to 1:50 PM
- Panel members TBA
Panel: Strategies to Attract, Develop and Retain More Womxn to Cybersecurity
1:50 PM to 2:30 PM
- Panel member TBA
Hands-on, Interactive Training Session
2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
- Speaker TBA
Register today for inspiration and actionable insight from top cybersecurity leaders, changemakers and role models.
Background – The Demand and Opportunity for Cyber Talent
The rapid adoption of new ‘digital by default’ models, accelerated remote work and learning, and increasing reliance on digital platforms has catalyzed urgent demand for cybersecurity talent. As a result, new risks are emerging in our interconnected global economy. For example, the Information Systems Security Association found a 63% increase in cyberattacks related to the pandemic, calling COVID-19 a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for hackers.” This revolutionary digital era is also driving new market opportunities. For example:
We look forward to exploring new ideas, strategies and opportunities together as a community.