Breaking Barriers, Boundaries and Billion-Dollar Markets
An IWW Event Hosted by the University of Ottawa and Invest Ottawa
Four million. This is the number of cybersecurity professionals required around the world. With two million highly skilled people currently employed internationally in cybersecurity, there is a growing labour shortage in this critical field. And this gap is widening with the global pandemic.
It is not simply a labour gap – it is a gender and diversity gap. Research from Cybersecurity Ventures (2019) projected that womxn make up just 20% of the global cybersecurity workforce. This is a risk that threatens our collective long-term competitiveness, prosperity and security as a global society.
The rapid adoption of new ‘digital by default’ models, accelerated remote work and learning, and increasing reliance on digital platforms has catalyzed urgent demand for cybersecurity talent. New risks are emerging in our interconnected global economy. The Information Systems Security Association found a 63% increase in cyberattacks related to the pandemic, calling COVID-19 a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for hackers.” This revolutionary digital era is also driving new market opportunity. For example:
It will take the development of a robust, diverse and inclusive cybersecurity talent pipeline to address these challenges, seize new market opportunity and economically empower more womxn in this field. It will take collaborative, strategic action to move this dial. Are you ready to drive change?
Join the University of Ottawa and Invest Ottawa on March 3 from 1PM to 3:30PM EST to:
- Explore the state of global cybersecurity including key opportunities, needs, threats and big ideas
- Acquire inspiration, actionable insight and thought leadership with hands-on learning and interactive engagement
- Drive measurable commitment, action and change with a focus on impactful strategies to develop, attract and retain a highly diverse and inclusive talent pipeline with strong womxn cyber leaders; and
- Recognize and celebrate the leadership and collective achievements of womxn changemakers, leaders and influencers from every walk of life in cybersecurity.
Join Sophia Leong, Executive Leader, University of Ottawa, and Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa, Bayview Yards and Area X.O, Co-MCs for this premier IWW event.
We are honoured to welcome initial speakers and panelists including:
- Sem Ponnambalam, Board Member; Co-Founder and President of xahive (Ottawa and Los Angeles, California), WEF Panelist, G20 YES Panelist, Author, Online Cybersecurity Governance Instructor
- Beth Klehr, Chief Human Resources Officer at Entrust (Chicago)
- Sandra Wheatley Smerdon, SVP Marketing, Threat Intelligence and Influencer Communication, Fortinet (Ottawa)
Register today for inspiration and actionable insight from top cybersecurity leaders, changemakers and role models.