Executive Assistant to the President and Chief Executive Officer
Invest Ottawa delivers economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum in Ottawa and the surrounding region. Since 2012, Invest Ottawa has helped facilitate the creation of more than 5,500 jobs. Guided by a vision to help realize Ottawa’s full potential as a globally-recognized, innovative and future-ready city and the best place to work and live, Invest Ottawa helps to catalyze the growth and success of local entrepreneurs and firms.
A non-profit corporation, Invest Ottawa delivers programs and services which include start-up incubation and mentorship, acceleration for existing companies, global business and investment attraction and local business retention, targeted sector development, commercialization, and marketing Ottawa’s diversified economy and high quality of life.
In September 2017, Invest Ottawa and the Bayview Yards began working closely together as strategic partners with a mission to drive industry-led innovation, leveraging emerging technologies to build high‑value jobs, long-term economic growth and community prosperity.
We are currently inviting applications for an Executive Assistant to the President and Chief Executive Officer position.
Scope of Position:
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Executive Assistant (EA) is responsible for the management, administration and operations of the CEO’s office in addition to providing support to the Vice President of Finance and Corporate Services, as well as other members of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
This position requires a very high level of confidentiality and discretion in communications, strong ethical and professional standards, the ability to manage multiple relationships both internally across the organization and externally with clients, excellent time and project management skills, and an ability to troubleshoot quickly and effectively, and readily adapt to changing priorities, deadlines and time sensitive opportunities.
- Manages the CEO’s schedule to ensure, on a priority basis, his ability to attend to accommodate the requisite appointments, events, and meetings
- Monitors CEO’s Inbox to ensure timely responses to email messages and requests
- Supports the CEO and VP and the associated teams as needed with various reports, presentations and documents; includes proof reading and editing; dictation of notes including minutes and actions; online research; drafting and editing PowerPoint presentations.
- Reviews completed ELT correspondence and reports for accuracy, form and completion Schedules and coordinates attendance, agendas and supporting materials for Board meetings, Finance and Audit Committee, Executive Committee, Governance and Nominating Committee.
- Schedules and coordinates attendance, agendas and materials for bi-weekly ELT meetings
- Records minutes of discussions, decisions and actions at all Board, Committee and ELT meetings
- Prepares and researches reports, supports letters and briefings as required.
- Completes monthly expense claims for CEO
- Assists with event co-ordination of various events (i.e. Mayor’s visits, provincial announcements, GEW, speaker events etc.)
- Arranges catering and refreshments for meetings and events as required
- Organizes and effectively maintains filing system for electronic and physical records and corporate documents.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
- Prepares and drafts written, and verbal correspondence and presentation materials as required
- Performs other general administrative duties such as ad hoc projects, supports letters and briefings as required
- Ability to respond to a wide variety of issues with unclear situations and conflicting demands
- Solid judgement in setting priorities, identifying issues and determining action required
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate problems, organize and coordinate appropriate responses
- Superior interpersonal, oral communication and relationship management skills
- Possess project management skills and excellent organizational skills. Must have the ability to prioritize executive tasks with meticulous attention to detail and demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Solid understanding of Invest Ottawa’s strategic objectives and priorities and issues involved in the organizations operations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information
- Must be highly organized, pay close attention to details and proactively follow-up
- Ability to anticipate needs and issues and act accordingly in addition to exhibiting good judgment;
- Must be able to flex schedule to meet work demands (ex. early mornings, after hours)
- Strong proficiency using Microsoft Office 365 (including Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint)
- Hands on Knowledge of Adobe PDF
- English oral, reading and writing
- French oral, reading and writing highly desirable
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of a certificate in Business Administration, or a related field.
- Past success in the management of a President/CEO or other senior executive office
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience supporting senior executives
Complexity of Duties:
- Significant interaction with high-level internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent business writing skills are a requirement
Unique Working Conditions:
- Fast paced environment with rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Challenging and diverse business environment. Public and open organization with multiple stakeholders
So why should you consider this role?
At Invest Ottawa, you will have the chance to learn about the inner workings of Ottawa’s entrepreneurship, start-up and business community. It means having the opportunity to work to your full potential, surrounded by the best and brightest people. From the physical space to their top-tier health benefits, Invest Ottawa promotes a healthy work-life balance through many employee perks including flexible work hours, annual fitness allowance, employer paid RRSP contributions and professional development, as well as an onsite fresh food cafeteria. It’s a place where you can be proud of the work you do.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to forward their resume in confidence to Invest Ottawa by email to [email protected]. This posting will remain open until it is filled.
Invest Ottawa/CBY is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Invest Ottawa/CBY offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Invest Ottawa/CBY regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
Invest Ottawa/CBY thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged