Invest Ottawa delivers economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum in Ottawa and the surrounding region. Since 2012, Invest Ottawa has helped facilitate the creation of more than 5,500 jobs. Guided by a vision to help realize Ottawa’s full potential as a globally-recognized, innovative and future-ready city and the best place to work and live, Invest Ottawa helps to catalyze the growth and success of local entrepreneurs and firms.
A non-profit corporation, Invest Ottawa delivers programs and services which include start-up incubation and mentorship, acceleration for existing companies, global business and investment attraction and local business retention, targeted sector development, commercialization, and marketing Ottawa’s diversified economy and high quality of life.
In September 2017, Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards began working closely together as strategic partners with a mission to drive industry-led innovation, leveraging emerging technologies to build high‑value jobs, long-term economic growth and community prosperity.
Reporting directly to the Controller, the Finance Assistant will be performing a variety of core accounting functions as well as supporting all Invest Ottawa partners
- Leads full accounts payable and accounts receivable cycle
- Reconciles and records all credit card payments received by Invest Ottawa, processes and maintains IO merchant account;
- Keep financial records and establishing, maintain and balance various accounts;
- Prepare cheques for RRSP and other bills;
- Co-ordinate and prepare ACH/cheque payments on a weekly basis;
- Help prepare financial reports and spreadsheets as requested;
- Perform related clerical duties, such as maintaining filing and record systems, faxing and photocopying;
- Manages office supplies and equipment procurement and related budget;
- Oversees cell phone and conference calls
- Co-ordinates with IT services to ensure all printer set up, requests and related issues are resolved effectively
- Responds to customer inquiries, maintains good customer relations and solves problems;
- Interact with employees and contractors regarding their claims;
- Assists external auditors at year end as needed.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles including accounting controls;
- Solid understanding of project and fund accounting in a non-for-profit setting;
- Comfortable with new technologies: ability to learn new accounting and CRM applications quickly;
- Strong service orientation: ability to build trust quickly with stakeholders (internal and external);
- Team player who can work collaboratively with colleagues and quickly integrate into the organization;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite, with strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to understand, interprets, and follows the requirements of funding agreements.
Complexity of Duties
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a requirement;
- Knowledge and application of relevant IO policies and procedures;
- Strong reading and understanding capabilities are a requirement;
- Stong math skills are required to complete day-to-day tasks
Unique Working Conditions
- Fast paced environment with rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines;
- Challenging and diverse business environment. Public and open organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Diploma in Business Administration in Accounting (required);
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business, Accounting or a related field is considered an asset.
- English oral, reading and writing;
- French oral, reading and writing is considered an asset.
- 1-3 years of experience in an accounting function.
So why should you consider this role?
At Invest Ottawa, you will have the chance to learn about the inner workings of Ottawa’s entrepreneurship, start-up and business community. It means having the opportunity to work to your full potential, surrounded by the best and brightest people. From the physical space to their top-tier health benefits, Invest Ottawa promotes a healthy work-life balance through many employee perks including flexible work hours, annual fitness allowance, employer paid RRSP contributions and professional development, as well as an onsite fresh food cafeteria. It’s a place where you can be proud of the work you do.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to forward their resume in confidence to Invest Ottawa by email to [email protected]. This posting will remain open until it is filled.
Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged