Invest Ottawa delivers economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum in Ottawa and the surrounding region. Since 2012, Invest Ottawa has helped facilitate the creation of more than 5,500 jobs. Guided by a vision to help realize Ottawa’s full potential as a globally-recognized, innovative and future-ready city and the best place to work and live, Invest Ottawa helps to catalyze the growth and success of local entrepreneurs and firms.
A non-profit corporation, Invest Ottawa delivers programs and services which include start-up incubation and mentorship, acceleration for existing companies, global business and investment attraction and local business retention, targeted sector development, commercialization, and marketing Ottawa’s diversified economy and high quality of life.
In September 2017, Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards began working closely together as strategic partners with a mission to drive industry-led innovation, leveraging emerging technologies to build high‑value jobs, long-term economic growth and community prosperity.
Reporting directly to the Controller, the Finance Assistant will be performing a variety of core accounting functions for Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards
Leads accounts payable cycle by verifying and entering invoices, reconcile vendor statements, process payments, reconciles A/P Subledger to the general ledger at month end
- Leads accounts receivable cycle by issuing customer invoices as authorized by controller, applies payments, produces customer statements, reconciles subledger to the general ledger, follows up on outstanding items;
- Maintains the organization’s merchant accounts (Moneris, PayPal) , reconciles and records all credit card payments, processes;
- Keeps financial records while establishing, maintaining and balancing various accounts;
- Prepares payments for vendors and employee expenses reimbursements in accordance with the organizations policies and payment authorization rules;
- Integral part of the month-end accounting function including the recording of financial accruals, capital asset reconciliation and preparation of account reconciliations on a timely basis;
- Maintains accurate records for the accounting and finance functions e.g. invoices, expense reports, etc.;
- Other accounting roles include posting journal entries, reconciling accounts, performing bank reconciliations, maintaining general ledgers and completing bank deposits;
- Responds to customer inquiries, maintains positive customer relations and solves problems;
- Assists external auditors at year end as needed (providing reports, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles including accounting controls;
- Detail oriented, including accurate record keeping, time management and willingness to follow established procedures;
- Solid understanding of project and fund accounting in a non-for-profit setting;
- Comfortable with new technologies: ability to learn new accounting and CRM applications quickly;
- Service orientation: ability to build trust quickly with stakeholders (internal and external);
- Team player who can work collaboratively with colleagues and quickly integrate into the organization;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite, with strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to understand, interprets, and follows the requirements of funding agreements.
Complexity of Duties
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills are a requirement;
- Knowledge and application of relevant organizational policies and procedures;
- Critical thinking and comprehension skills are a requirement;
Unique Working Conditions
- Fast paced environment with rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines;
- Challenging and diverse business environment. Public and open organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Diploma in Business Administration in Accounting (required);
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business, Accounting or a related field is considered an asset.
- English oral, reading and writing;
- French oral, reading and writing is considered an asset.
- 1-3 years of experience in an accounting function.
So why should you consider this role?
At Invest Ottawa, you will have the chance to learn about the inner workings of Ottawa’s entrepreneurship, start-up and business community. It means having the opportunity to work to your full potential, surrounded by the best and brightest people. From the physical space to their top-tier health benefits, Invest Ottawa promotes a healthy work-life balance through many employee perks including flexible work hours, annual fitness allowance, employer paid RRSP contributions and professional development, as well as an onsite fresh food cafeteria. It’s a place where you can be proud of the work you do.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to forward their resume in confidence to Invest Ottawa by email to [email protected]. This posting will remain open until it is filled.
Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
Invest Ottawa/Bayview Yards thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged