The ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program (5G SDP) partners Ontario-based small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms on 5G technology development projects. Areas of technology interest are defined in Challenge Statements submitted to OCE by the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms and posted to the OCE website on a rolling basis.
Challenge Statement: Indoor 5G/NR mmW Antennas
This is a pre-development or prototype project in which the SME will work with Ericsson to conceptualize and develop new antennas for Ericsson’s indoor 5G mmW offering. It is 75% conceptual with simulations, and 25% prototyping/testing.
Lab work prototyping may take several months with early and progressively refined concepts. The SME will manage prototype development and procurement costs.
• The SME shall provide realistic 3D simulations including PCB level losses in transmit/receive paths, and through dielectric elements.
• Simulations shall include calculated beam parameters for optimal performance for both antenna applications.
• The SME shall design and verify a metalized plastic and/or reflector solution for the antenna prototype with verified performance.
This is expected to be a two-year project with multiple phases:
• Ramping up on 32-element 28 GHz beamforming chipsets and proposing/investigating antenna concepts and simulations to assess viable solutions for high- and low-density applications.
• Detailed analysis and realistic simulations of selected solutions for high performance directional and hemispherical solutions
based on a common electrical feeder platform.
• Mechanical prototyping of factory configurable metalized plastic radome and/or reflectors for proposed applications.
• Testing, at Ericsson’s Terry Fox lab in Kanata, prototyped solutions to confirm RF parameters and overall performance.
• Assessing detailed cost analysis of antenna mechanical solutions through supplier RFQ process.
• Preparing final reports for solution, including scaled
application for standard mmW bands.
The SME is responsible for all work and will report face-to-face during weekly Ericsson meetings.