Be your own boss this summer
Mac Henry, Camp Questalot
Storytelling in a digital age
As a student working towards his teaching degree, Mac Henry creatively incorporated his love for education and online role-playing games (RPGs) to create Camp Questalot. This digital summer camp encouraged kids to find their creativity through developing colourful storylines and painting 3D figurines. Mac showed his ingenuity and out-of-the-box thinking through his fun programing, going so far as to gamify fitness incentives; campers would level up their in-game characters through engaging in exercise during non-screen time breaks! Mac became a quick leader and enthusiastic mentor in the Summer Company Program in 2020.
“I always had a dream to create a narrative-based camp experience that incorporates traditional camp experiences, and the assistance provided by Invest Ottawa and the Ontario Government was the push I needed to follow my dreams in creating Camp Questalot. The best part of this experience was constantly being inspired by my campers, watching them dive into their characters, plot lines and solve challenging puzzles as a team. This summer experience has given me the drive and skills to continue my business and see where this quest takes me.”
The assistance provided by Invest-Ottawa and the Ontario Government was the push I needed to follow my dreams in creating Camp Questalot. Mac Henry, founder of Camp Questalot.
Program participants receive
A grant of up to $3,000
A digital community of entrepreneurial peers
One of the best summer jobs you can have
Build your business
- Propose a new business idea separate from any current family businesses.
- Prepare a business plan that shows the business can successfully launch and operate this summer.
- Learn what it takes to run a successful business through interactive workshops and hands-on coaching by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Develop skills in sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and online sales.
- Run your business; be prepared to invest 35 hours a week to operate it during the summer.
Leverage the start-up money
A grant of up to $3,000 will be awarded to successful applicants in two instalments:
- The first instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover startup costs at the beginning of the program.
- The second instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided upon successful completion of the program.
Find your community
- Meet like-minded young entrepreneurs like yourself.
- Share your passions.
- Make friends along the way.
Meet more Ottawa student entrepreneurs
Apply now and be your own boss this summer
Is the Summer Company Program for you?
- Be between 15 and 29 years old.
- Currently a student and returning to school in the fall (proof of enrollment required).
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in Ontario.
- Are not already running a business.
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program.
Applications for 2021 program are open until May 23. Here is how to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program.
- Complete the online application inquiry.
- Select your local program provider.
- Assign yourself a password.
- Submit your application inquiry.
- If your application meets the program requirements, you will be instructed to complete the Summer Company business plan template and start up budget calculator.
- Once your business plan and startup budget calculator are complete and submitted, your program coordinator will invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, your program coordinator will let you know if you’ve been approved to participate in the program.