Be your own boss this summer
Anna Hiemstra, Makrtech & The Robotic Arm Kit
Bringing STEM to your doorstep
Having grown up participating in many STEM programs, Anna Hiemstra felt drawn to the industry and quickly realized the Canadian market was missing affordable and challenging STEM kits. To fill this gap, Anna opened Makrtech, a business dedicated to teaching coding and problem-solving skills to all ages at an affordable price. Martech’s first product, The Robotic Arm Kit, is available to the Canadian market thanks to the help of Summer Company.
“I’ve been planning to design and sell STEM kits since I was in junior high. With the help of Summer Company, I was able to make this dream a reality. The program helped me finish my designs, order parts and packaging, build a website and get my product to market.
This opportunity allowed me to learn hands-on about the challenges of running a business, and with the support of the Summer Company mentors, the experience was less daunting. They provided excellent business advice that I otherwise wouldn’t have had. It is rewarding to see my hard work come together in my small business Makrtech, and I cannot wait to see how my business grows and expands in the future.”
I was able to make this dream a reality. The program helped me finish my designs, order parts and packaging, build a website and get my product to market. Anna Hiemstra, founder of Makrtech.
Program participants receive
A grant of up to $3,000
A digital community of entrepreneurial peers
One of the best summer jobs you can have
Build your business
- Propose a new business idea separate from any current family businesses.
- Prepare a business plan that shows the business can successfully launch and operate this summer.
- Learn what it takes to run a successful business through interactive workshops and hands-on coaching by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Develop skills in sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and online sales.
- Run your business; be prepared to invest 35 hours a week to operate it during the summer.
Leverage the start-up money
A grant of up to $3,000 will be awarded to successful applicants in two instalments:
- The first instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover startup costs at the beginning of the program.
- The second instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided upon successful completion of the program.
Find your community
- Meet like-minded young entrepreneurs like yourself.
- Share your passions.
- Make friends along the way.
Meet more Ottawa student entrepreneurs
Apply now and be your own boss this summer
Is the Summer Company Program for you?
- Be between 15 and 29 years old.
- Currently a student and returning to school in the fall (proof of enrollment required).
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in Ontario.
- Are not already running a business.
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program.
Applications for 2021 program are open until May 23. Here is how to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program.
- Complete the online application inquiry.
- Select your local program provider.
- Assign yourself a password.
- Submit your application inquiry.
- If your application meets the program requirements, you will be instructed to complete the Summer Company business plan template and start up budget calculator.
- Once your business plan and startup budget calculator are complete and submitted, your program coordinator will invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, your program coordinator will let you know if you’ve been approved to participate in the program.