Be your own boss this summer
Yvonne Tan, Yvonne Tan Art
Art with a mission
As an incredibly talented artist who cares deeply about social justice issues, Yvonne Tan felt a calling to make art that both spoke to social justice issues and was accessible to individuals from all walks of life. Her business, Yvonne Tan Art, evolved from commission-based work to incorporating inclusive pricing models to better reflect her ambitions. Her stunning work ranges from imaginative artwork for board games, to art pieces highlighting marginalized and underrepresented communities. A true innovator, Yvonne fulfilled her dreams of marrying her passions for art and social causes within a sustainable business model.
“With the help of Summer Company’s mentoring and training, I have learned essential skills like creating a business plan and managing my finances. I was able to incorporate my passion for social issues into my small business’s vision. I have also learned a lot about the importance of small businesses as catalysts for change in the greater economic landscape, and how my business fits into this equation.”
I have also learned a lot about the importance of small businesses as catalysts for change in the greater economic landscape, and how my business fits into this equation. Yvonne Tan, founder of Yvonne Tan Art.
Program participants receive
A grant of up to $3,000
A digital community of entrepreneurial peers
One of the best summer jobs you can have
Build your business
- Propose a new business idea separate from any current family businesses.
- Prepare a business plan that shows the business can successfully launch and operate this summer.
- Learn what it takes to run a successful business through interactive workshops and hands-on coaching by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Develop skills in sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and online sales.
- Run your business; be prepared to invest 35 hours a week to operate it during the summer.
Leverage the start-up money
A grant of up to $3,000 will be awarded to successful applicants in two instalments:
- The first instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover startup costs at the beginning of the program.
- The second instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided upon successful completion of the program.
Find your community
- Meet like-minded young entrepreneurs like yourself.
- Share your passions.
- Make friends along the way.
Meet more Ottawa student entrepreneurs
Apply now and be your own boss this summer
Is the Summer Company Program for you?
- Be between 15 and 29 years old.
- Currently a student and returning to school in the fall (proof of enrollment required).
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in Ontario.
- Are not already running a business.
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program.
Applications for 2021 program are open until May 23. Here is how to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program.
- Complete the online application inquiry.
- Select your local program provider.
- Assign yourself a password.
- Submit your application inquiry.
- If your application meets the program requirements, you will be instructed to complete the Summer Company business plan template and start up budget calculator.
- Once your business plan and startup budget calculator are complete and submitted, your program coordinator will invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, your program coordinator will let you know if you’ve been approved to participate in the program.