This blog is part of our AccelerateOTT: Scale or Fail Speaker Series. View the full series here.
Speakers: Code Cubitt, Managing Director, Mistral Ventures; David Dufresne, Partner, Panache Ventures; Jennifer Francis, High Tech Mentor, Advisor & Investor; Chris Neumann, Early-Stage Investor; and Elizabeth Yin, Co-Founder, Partner & Startup Investor, Hustle Fund
Title: AccelerateOTT: Inside the Mind of an Early-Stage Investor
At AccelerateOTT, the Early-Stage Investor Panel was so popular, during the talk you could hear a pin drop! Attendees walked away armed with the knowledge of what to look for in an Angel or VC, how to pitch, when to seek investment, how to discern between a good and bad investor and more.
Here are our top favourite panel takeaways:
- What’s your differentiator? Is it your business model or your technology? If it is your technology, you need to own the intellectual property: it matters to investors.
- A diverse team with differing opinions and backgrounds makes for a stronger team and company.
- If an investor is interested in you, they will look at your company later. Focus on your business, then go to them when you’re truly ready; you never get a second chance to make a second impression.
- Send cold e-mails and make them strong. Include clear bullet points and peak attention!
- When you pitch, first identify the problem you found, size it (explain how many people it effects), identifying the solution, showcase “why you”, and then, provide the $$$ ops.
- When you find a “lead” investor early on, use them to rally others.
— Julia Elvidge (@Julia_Elvidge) June 13, 2018
“There’s no doubt that having a diverse team with differing opinions & backgrounds makes for a stronger team & company.” – @ckneumann @AccelerateOTT with wisdom for early stage startups ???????????? #AccelerateOTT #ScaleorFail pic.twitter.com/grRmUdPZ8P
— Kara Eusebio (@kbeuseb) June 13, 2018
Following the panel, not one, but two of our investors sat down with Techopia to talk shop!
Check out Code Cubit’s, Managing Director, Mistral Venture Partners, interview:
Check out Elizabeth Yin’s, Co-Founder, Partner and Startup Investor, Hustle Fund
Thank you for your time and insight!
AccelerateOTT brings together the city’s innovators, creators and inventors. Work in tech? Starting a business? Just want to dip your toes in the proverbial entrepreneurial waters? You’ll be surrounded by founders, mentors and venture capitalists (some from as far as Silicon Valley) providing strategic and sage advice.
Since 2012, Invest Ottawa has ignited the Accelerate series in Ottawa, providing a conference that truly fuels the entrepreneurial fire. The day is packed with world-class speakers, power networking breaks and an epic after party!