About this Event
Are you architecting, leading or delivering entrepreneurship programs, advisory services, mentorship and/or training for an incubator, accelerator, innovation hub, non-profit or post-secondary institution? Would you like to help build a more inclusive and diverse entrepreneurial ecosystem where founders from every walk of life can grow and thrive? Are you struggling to take meaningful action that drives change?
Join us online on September 17 at 2:30 pm to engage in open discussion, acquire new tools, and gain the actionable insight you can put to work in support of this goal – together as a community.
The University of Ottawa Telfer School of Management and Invest Ottawa pleased to host Driving Diversity in Entrepreneurship: Ideas and Actionable Insight for Impact.
We know diversity, inclusion and belonging are proven multipliers for growth, competitive advantage and performance. Targeted to those who develop and deliver entrepreneurship programs, services, training and advisory services, this online event will enable you to:
- Learn about the Global Gender-Smart Entrepreneurship Education and Training Plus (GEET+) developed by Dr. Barbara Orser and Catherine Elliott, Telfer School of Management, uOttawa, and discuss how it can help to reduce gender, racial and occupational stereotypes, and unconscious bias associated with entrepreneurship.
- Explore the GEET+ tool kit and scorecard, and how can be applied to create more inclusive content and delivery to help founders from every walk of life launch and grow successful, scalable firms.
- Hear Invest Ottawa’s story, and gain ideas, actionable insight and lessons learned throughout our journey to date. This includes a deep dive into SheBoot, an investment-ready bootcamp designed for women founders by women entrepreneurs and investors launched by IO and the Capital Angel Network.
If you aim to help create a more inclusive and diverse entrepreneurship ecosystem that creates greater opportunity and impact for all founders, this event is a must-attend!
Agenda at a glance
• 2:30 PM: Introduction by Susan Richards
• 2:35 PM: Overview of the GEET+ report and framework by Dr. Barbara Orser and Dr. Catherine Elliott
• 3:00 PM: Panel introduction by Michael Tremblay
• 3:05 PM: Panel discussion about Invest Ottawa’s journey, with a focus on SheBoot
- Dr. Barbara Orser, Professor, Researcher, Author and Advisor, Telfer School of Management, uOttawa
- Cassie Myers, CEO, Lunaria; Diversity and Inclusion Advocate; and SheBoot participant
- Jennifer Francis, Chair of the Capital Angel Network, Director of the IO/BY Board, SheBoot Co-Founder and Leader
- Julia Elvidge, SheBoot Co-Founder and Leader, Director of the Board, Capital Angel Network, Invest Ottawa Advisor
- Shav Hasfal-McIntosh. Global Diversity and Inclusion Lead, Shopify; Chair of the Female Founder and Womxn-Owned Business Sub-Committee and Director of the Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards Board of Directors
- Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa and Bayview Yards
• 3:30 PM: Open Q&A with panellists from the audience
• 3:25 PM: Concluding remarks with Nick Quain, Dr. Barbara Orser and Catherine Elliott
Bonus: Additional resources
GEET+ is the first purpose-built toolkit to inform the design and delivery of entrepreneurship programs. By participating in the event, you will also receive additional GEET+ resources, including a recording of the introduction and panel discussion!
Additional information about GEET+:
o Transitions to distance learning present opportunities to create more inclusive entrepreneurship courses and programs. The transition also increases the likelihood of amplifying gender, racial and other stereotypes of entrepreneurship.
o Canadian and international studies report that entrepreneurship education and training have less impact on girls and women, including engagement in courses, incubators and accelerators.
The goal of Gender-Smart Entrepreneurship Education and Training Plus (GEET+) report is to reduce the incidence of gender, racial and occupational stereotypes associated with entrepreneurship.
The GEET+ report translates evidence-based insights into practical applications to support inclusive entrepreneurship education and training.
Users can adapt the GEET+ scorecard to assess courses and programs. The toolkit also includes a framework, principles, action strategies, tips, and illustrations.
Instructors and trainers, program managers, policymakers, funders, women’s enterprise advocates.