Lightbulb Moments: Women in STEM Conquering Personal & Systemic Biases
Lightbulb Moments: Women in STEM Conquering Personal & Systemic Biases is a Lightning Talk featuring 8 women in STEM leaders who will each share a profound story about how they conquered personal & systemic biases. #BreakTheBias
The challenges that women in STEM face are well known: From the gender pay gap, to imposter syndrome, to the motherhood penalty, both systemic and personal biases impact their ability to thrive.
This event is shedding a light on the most common biases experienced by women in STEM industries, and transforming them into a unique learning opportunity. You’ll hear from 8 leaders who have both experienced and held biases, the steps they took to overcome them, and key takeaways for the audience so that they too can #BreakTheBias. This event is part of Invest Ottawa’s International Women’s Week campaign. #IWW2022
The featured speakers you will be learning from are:
- Sana Abou-Shaaban: Professional engineer, Environmental Policy and Planning Manager with the Government of Canada, & participant in the prestigious 2021 Dr. Roberta Bondar Career Development Program.
- Khristine Cariño: President of SCWIST, one of Canada’s oldest professional associations for women in STEM, & Program Manager at Palette Skills.
- Dr. Roopali Chaudhary: Scientist, entrepreneur, and Founder & CEO of Lotus STEMM, a non-profit organization that provides a networking and leadership platform for South Asian women in STEMM fields.
- Lennis Perez aka the Wellness Engineer: Founder of Just Lennis, LLC, Lennis brings over 16 years experience in chemical engineering to help women in STEM navigate burnout and stress management.
- Jasmine Shaw: Professional engineer & project manager by day, content creator and host of #TechTalks on the side, advocate for women in STEM all the time.
- Dominique Simoneau-Ritchie: VP of Engineering at Wealthsimple, the Canadian tech unicorn that is revolutionizing and democratizing financial literacy for all Canadians
- Diane Watson: Program manager at Nokia, renowned community builder, and Chair of the Women in Communications and Technology National Capital Region (WCT-NCR) Chapter.
- Kylie Woods: Founder & Executive Director of Chic Geek, a national organization committed to advancing and retaining mid-career women in tech through mentorship, corporate partnerships, and DEI resources.