As an employer it is important to learn how to manage your workplace to ensure that you have productive, contributing employees. At the same time it is imperative that employers stay on side with their legal obligations. An employer must also manage the risk associated with the breakdown of an employment relationship.
This seminar will cover the following:
- The importance of an employment contract;
- The problems with letters of offer;
- The dos and don’ts of successful employment contracts;
- Indeterminate employees vs. contract employees;
- The minimum obligations of the Employment Standards Act as it relates to the wages and vacation entitlements;
- Considerations of Ontario’s Human Rights Code when hiring and firing employees;
- The employee on long-term disability;
- How to handle the termination of an employee;
- How much cause is just cause?
- Letters of reference
Barbara Nicholls is a senior partner and head of the LMR Labour & Employment Law Group. She has appeared before all levels of courts up to and including the Supreme Court of Canada. Barbara also has extensive arbitration and tribunal experience. She advises clients on all aspects of employment and labour law. She is a frequent speaker on employment law issues.
Chris Rutherford is a senior member of LMR’s Labour & Employment Law Group. He has appeared at all levels of the Ontario Courts. In addition, Chris has frequently appeared before both the Ontario and Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. Chris can help employers with policy manuals, discipline and accommodation issues, drafting employment contracts and letters of termination. Chris also advises on privacy obligations and breaches. Chris is a frequent speaker on employment law issues having recently spoken at the 37th Civil Litigation Conference at Mont Tremblant, and the 23rd Annual East Region Solicitors Conference.