Nobody relishes the task of meting out discipline or letting anyone go, but this is an inevitable part of managing other people. Poorly-performing staff members, whether they are paid or unpaid, can have a negative effect on your team and on your organization’s effectiveness.
After completing the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role legislation has on volunteer discipline and dismissal
- Understand the roles program staff and the Manager of Volunteers/Coordinator of Volunteers play in the process
- Summarize steps in the process to handle inappropriate volunteer behaviour
- Determine in which situations a volunteer termination is justified and necessary
- Use a model to terminate a volunteer
- Outline documentation considerations – what should and should not be included in a volunteer’s file
Who should attend?
- Volunteer Coordinators
- Senior managers
- Program personnel
Kathy Magee is the Volunteer Specialist with the Department of Recreation, Cultural and Facility Services for the City of Ottawa, a role she has filled for 15 years. A graduate of Vanier College and attended Concordia University, she worked for a number of years as a Recreation Therapist prior to specializing in Volunteer Management. Kathy was the past Chair of the Advisory Board for the Event Management Program at Algonquin College, a Mentor in the Event Management Program at Algonquin College and has served on the boards of Volunteer Management Professionals of Canada (VMPC) in the role of Vice President, Provincial Association of Volunteer Resources Ontario ( PAVRO) in the role of Conference Chair and Ottawa Administrators of Volunteer Resources (OAVR) in the role of Chairperson.