On Monday, October 16, 2023, join us as we celebrate the remarkable achievements of women entrepreneurs and leaders across North America who are redefining the global sports industry.
Hosted by the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Invest Ottawa and the Ottawa Board of Trade at Bayview Yards, the innovation hub in Canada’s Capital, this free bilateral hybrid event will bring together founders, thought leaders and trailblazers from the U.S. and Canada who are redefining the sports sector.
These visionary founders and innovators are creating winning sports products, strategies and companies, and achieving market share and impact in this global industry. It is big business. According to Statistica, the global sports market was valued at US $487 billion in 2022, and it is expected to be worth more than US $623 billion in 2027.
This topic builds on President Biden and Prime Minister Trudeau’s Building Back Better and Advancing Diversity and Inclusion pillars of the Roadmap for a Renewed U.S.-Canada Partnership.
Join us in person at Bayview Yards or online anywhere there is WiFi, and be our guest for an evening of insightful entrepreneurial discussions, networking, and inspiration.
It’s all free and all are welcome!
5PM: Open networking reception with amazing food and drink from Ottawa restauranteurs, including wine from Kin Vineyards
5:30PM: Introductory Remarks
- Welcome and Land Acknowledgement: Sueling Ching, President and CEO, Ottawa Board of Trade, and Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa; Co-MCs of the event
- Greetings from His Excellency David Cohen, U.S. Ambassador to Canada
- Greetings from the Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Sport and Physical Activity, Government of Canada
5:50PM: Fireside Chat
- Minister Qualtrough will host this inspirational fireside chat with Diana Matheson, Co-Founder of Project 8, the first professional women’s soccer league in Canada.
- This engaging discussion will share insight from two women pioneers in sport, where one athlete pursued government and policy leadership and the other charted an entrepreneurial journey.
6:10PM: Panel Discussion
- Moderator: Sonya Shorey, Vice President of Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa, Area X.O and Bayview Yards
- Shannon Ferguson, Co-Founder and CEO, FanSaves (Ottawa)
- Diana Matheson, Co-Founder and CEO, Project 8 (Toronto, ON)
- Jenny Nguyen, Founder and Owner, The Sports Bra (Portland, OR)
6:45PM: Concluding remarks and networking
Important Event Details to Ensure a Great Experience for You
If you are joining us in person at Bayview Yards, Ottawa’s Innovation Hub, we are delighted to share the following information on transportation to our innovation hub and the support available upon your arrival.
- Cycling: Located beside the Ottawa River Pathway and many other routes, Bayview Yards is easily accessible via bicycle. We offer ample bike racks, at the front and back of our building, throughout all seasons.
- Transit: Bayview Yards is 600m away from Bayview Station, which serves multiple routes. It is also the O-Train stop.
- Driving: There are 50 spaces along Bayview Station Road offering 2HR free parking and 27 spaces along Stonehurst and Burnside offering 1HR free parking.
- Parking: Complimentary parking is available onsite.
- Inclusive & Accessible: Should you have any specific mobility requirements, please contact Audrey Willsey at [email protected]. Our team will be pleased to work with you to make all the arrangements required for a great experience.
If you are joining us online, you will receive a link via our Hopin platform in advance of the event enabling you to join us for this hybrid experience.
By registering for this event, you accept that:
- You may be photographed or video recorded as we capture special moments during this event and share memories with our community via our website and social media
- You will receive event-related emails, as well as an invitation to subscribe to our mailing list
Bayview Yards is located on the traditional unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg People. We are grateful to have the opportunity to be present in this territory and come together as a community.