Women Creating a More Sustainable World
An International Women’s Week hybrid event hosted by Invest Ottawa and IBM together with IWW 2023’s Title Sponsor, BDC Capital’s Thrive Venture Fund
If you’re a current or aspiring leader who aims to have a positive impact on the world, economically, socially or environmentally, this event is for you.
Join us for inspiration and actionable insight from true role models who translate vision into action and impact locally, nationally and globally. Our speakers are leading powerful initiatives, companies and investments that are making a difference.
They are accomplished and visionary investors, industry leaders and entrepreneurs who directly support the UN sustainability goals and the objectives that underpin International Women’s Week.
Together, we will:
- Address three key spheres of sustainability: innovation, investment and entrepreneurship.
- Provide tangible examples, success stories, and lessons learned
- Deliver takeaways and recommendations you can put to work in support of a cleaner, greener, more equitable and sustainable economy, society and planet.
We strive to help catalyze individual, organizational and community leadership, action and impact. From the investments, ESG policy, the products and services we develop, commercialize, and procure, the companies, cities, and communities we build, and how we engage with the world.
Join us in person at Bayview Yards to enjoy light refreshments, networking and live discussion, or online from any location with WiFi via our Hopin event platform.
8:00 AM: Registration and Networking
Folks with in-person tickets are welcome to join fellow attendees, speakers, allies and women leaders at Bayview Yards for our morning networking session. Light refreshments will be served.
9:00 AM: Welcome Remarks from Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa; World Economic Forum Fellow; and MC
9:05 AM: Beautiful Land Acknowledgment Ceremony delivered by Monique Manatch, Knowledge Keeper, member of the Algonquins of Barriere Lake, and Executive Director of the Indigenous Culture and Media Innovations Algonquin
9:10 AM: Driving Change
- Moderator: Aneeta Bains, Managing Partner, Canadian Federal Public Service, IBM (Ottawa)
- This panel will bring together leaders who are driving and implementing smart city and sustainability initiatives
9:55 AM: Investment Panel Discussion: The Power of Impact Investing
- Moderator to be announced
- Lise Birikundavyi, Co-Founder, BKR Capital, the first black-led VC fund in Canada (Toronto)
- Jill Earthy, President and CEO, InBC (Vancouver)
- Zoë Kolbuc, Vice President, Ecosystems, Sustainable Development Technology Canada (Calgary)
- Susan Rohac, Managing Partner, Climate Tech Fund, BDC (Ottawa)
- Ilse Treurnicht, Managing Partner, TwinRiver Capital (Toronto)
10:40 AM: Networking Break
11:00 AM: Entrepreneur Panel Discussion: Building a Triple Bottom Line for People, Profit and Our Planet
- Moderator: Jane Kearns, Partner, Evok Innovations (Toronto)
- Macarena Cataldo-Hernandez, Co-founder & CEO of Viridis Research Inc., 2022 Second Place SheBoot Winner (Vancouver)
- Heather Ward, Co-Founder & President, Hyperion Global Energy (Ottawa)
- Victoria Xu, Co-Founder & CEO, CleanInnoGen Energy Solutions (Ottawa)
- Co-Founder from The Aggressive Good (Ottawa)
- Final speaker to be announced
11:45 AM: Creating a Competitive ESG Advantage
- Moderator: Krista Jones, Senior VP of Venture Services, MaRS Discovery District; Founder of the Momentum Program (Toronto)
- Richa Sahay, VP of Sustainable Business Consulting, Jones Lang LaSalle; former Associate Director, First Movers Coalition, World Economic Forum, Advisor in the Climate Action Team, Executive Office of the UN Secretary-General (NYC)
- Additional speakers to be announced
12:25 PM: Concluding Remarks and Land Acknowledgement Ceremony
12:30 PM: Lunch and Networking
1:30 PM: Event Concludes
Important Event Details to Ensure a Great Experience for You
If you are joining us in person we are delighted to share the following information on transportation to our innovation hub and support available upon your arrival
- Cycling: Located beside the Ottawa River Pathway and many other routes, Bayview Yards is easily accessible via bicycle. We offer ample bike racks at the front and back of our building, throughout all seasons.
- Transit: Bayview Yards is 600m away from Bayview Station, which serves multiple routes. It is also the O-Train stop.
- Driving: There are 50 spaces along Bayview Station Road offering 2HR free parking and 27 spaces along Stonehurst and Burnside offering 1HR free parking.
- Parking: Complimentary parking is available onsite.
- Inclusive & Accessible: Should you have any specific mobility requirements, please contact Audrey Willsey at [email protected]. Our team will be pleased to work with you to make all the arrangements required for a great experience.
By registering for this event, you accept that:
- You may be photographed or video recorded as we capture special moments during this event and share memories with our community via our website and social media
- You will receive event-related emails, as well as an invitation to subscribe to our mailing list
Thank you to our Event Sponsor
We are proud to host Women Creating a More Sustainable World in partnership with IBM. Sincere thanks to the entire IBM team for your generous support and commitment to our shared goals and community.
Thank You to our IWW 2023 Title Sponsor
We are also incredibly grateful to the BDC Capital’s Thrive Venture Fund for their generous support as our title sponsor for IWW 2023.
Bayview Yards is located on the traditional unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg People. We are grateful to have the opportunity to be present in this territory and come together as a community.