Our Journey Continues
Invest Ottawa’s vision is for Canada’s Capital to be the best city in the world for women-identifying founders and business owners to launch, grow and scale commercially successful, globally oriented and sustainable companies.
We are on a journey, and one that we know will take time, long-standing leadership, and extensive community collaboration. But we’re working to move the dial and to create long-lasting change.
There is much more to do, and more progress to be made but here is an update of where we stand today:
The use of the term “womxn” is an alternative term to the English language word “women.” We use this term to explicitly include all women, including transgender women and women of colour who have historically and systematically been excluded from mainstream women’s programming. The “x” is meant to signal that within the category of “women,” we are conscious of the ways in which different elements of one’s identity can intersect and inform a person’s lived experience. This choice supports our concerted effort to create a culture of belonging and prioritize equity.
For Ottawa to be the best city in the world for womxn founders and business owners to build, launch, grow and scale commercially successful, globally oriented and sustainable companies.
To establish Ottawa as an internationally recognized region with a critical mass of top womxn business founders and owners where opportunity abounds, and barriers are eliminated.
Meet the Female Founders and Womxn-Owned Business Subcommittee:
Diversity and Belonging Lead, Shopify
Director of the Board, Subcommittee Chair
This is a journey.
We have a long way to go, but we’re focused on growth and progress.
To proceed with intention, taking action internally and externally. To ensure we reflect our values. To work with entrepreneurs – with a special focus on womxn founders – from the beginning idea-stage throughout the entire scale-up process. To address individual and ecosystem challenges and provide tools for long-term, sustainable success.
- Near-Term – Establish the Foundation: Build a robust pipeline of Ottawa womxn founders and the value delivered by Invest Ottawa to womxn-owned businesses
- Medium-Term –Drive Measurable Progress Towards Goals: Continued implementation and ramp-up of new programs and services that expand the capabilities and impact of womxn founders
- Long-Term – Expand Global Leadership and Collaboration: Cooperation on big-picture goals and challenges to create more significant market and investment opportunity for womxn founders
How we do this:
- Increase the visibility of womxn founders
- Create new content and promotional platforms
- Amplify the voice and impact of womxn founders
- Inspire through role models and top leaders
- Provide training sessions, workshops and events
- Create womxn peer-to-peer groups
- Enable through mentorship
- Enhance R&D, business and market capabilities
- Evolve and create new programs and services
- Get womxn engaged
- Facilitate linkages to mentors, investors and clients
- Drive new opportunity in national and global networks