On March 8, the world celebrates International Women’s Day. From March 2 – 9, Ottawa will host the 2nd Annual International Womxn’s Week (IWW).
During IWW 2020, folks from across our region will join forces to further catalyze the economic, social, cultural, and political achievements of womxn. We'll unite to inspire, empower, and equip leaders of tomorrow, in professional fields that span tech, entrepreneurship, investment, industry, government, academia, research and innovation, and non-profits.
To have a truly lasting impact, we have to be in this together. Can we count you in?
For Ottawa to be the best city in the world for womxn founders and business owners to build, launch, grow and scale commercially successful, globally oriented and sustainable companies.
To establish Ottawa as an internationally recognized region with a critical mass of top womxn business founders and owners where opportunity abounds, and barriers are eliminated.
Meet the Female Founders and Womxn-Owned Business Subcommittee:
Diversity and Belonging Lead, Shopify
Director of the Board, Subcommittee Chair
This is a journey.
We have a long way to go, but we’re focused on growth and progress.
To proceed with intention, taking action internally and externally. To ensure we reflect our values. To work with entrepreneurs – with a special focus on womxn founders – from the beginning idea-stage throughout the entire scale-up process. To address individual and ecosystem challenges and provide tools for long-term, sustainable success.
- Near-Term – Establish the Foundation: Build a robust pipeline of Ottawa womxn founders and the value delivered by Invest Ottawa to womxn-owned businesses
- Medium-Term –Drive Measurable Progress Towards Goals: Continued implementation and ramp-up of new programs and services that expand the capabilities and impact of womxn founders
- Long-Term – Expand Global Leadership and Collaboration: Cooperation on big-picture goals and challenges to create more significant market and investment opportunity for womxn founders
How we do this:
- Increase the visibility of womxn founders
- Create new content and promotional platforms
- Amplify the voice and impact of womxn founders
- Inspire through role models and top leaders
- Provide training sessions, workshops and events
- Create womxn peer-to-peer groups
- Enable through mentorship
- Enhance R&D, business and market capabilities
- Evolve and create new programs and services
- Get womxn engaged
- Facilitate linkages to mentors, investors and clients
- Drive new opportunity in national and global networks