2 mins | 433 words
By: David Rodas-Wright
Once the stuff of science fiction, artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly revolutionizing our day-to-day lives. From self-driving cars to virtual assistants and global supply chains, AI applied to a real-world environment is propelling innovation globally and Ottawa is at the centre of it.
Our city’s deep expertise in innovation has a proud legacy and that now includes being a world leader in applied AI. While much important work continues in fundamental research, AI solutions developed here in Ottawa are driving progress across a multitude of industries.
Homegrown global commerce leader Shopify is incorporating AI enhancements into its new network of fulfillment centres and global supply chain tech innovator Kinaxis is building out expertise locally while bringing new talent on board from the acquisition of Toronto–based leader Rubikloud which specializes in intelligent decision making automation.
Other local innovators like Lemay.ai & Auditmap are blazing new trails, including inking a licensing agreement with the Inter-American Development Bank and Lixar Fuelled by BDO is an Ottawa powerhouse in AI and data analytics, now with a footprint in multiple Canadian cities.
All of this leads us to an exciting partnership Invest Ottawa has just announced with the UK’s InspiredMinds! – the company behind the World Summit AI Global Series.
This year we are supporting their upcoming AI Americas Summit, Online Global Meet-up! From April 19th to 21st, AI professionals and leaders are invited to experience world-class content and engagements through the AI Omnichannel, featuring highly focused and curated peer group discussions, masterclasses and 121 meetings.
And with Ottawa’s ever-increasing AI expertise it is no surprise our own experts and leaders will be sharing the spotlight with others from across North America:
- Gabe Batstone, Founder & CEO of Contextere
- Solon Angel, Founder & Chief Impact Officer at Mindbridge
- Laurie Heuff, Director Distribution Engineer & Asset Management, Hydro Ottawa
- Alex Benay, Global Lead, Government Azure Strategy, Microsoft
- Dr. Nasrin Sadeghianpour, Senior Smart Grid & AI Scientist, BluWave-ai
- Carina De Pellegrin, Counsel, Borden Ladner Gervais
- Curtis Behmann, Partner & National Leader, Beyond IP Strategy, Borden Ladner Gervais
- Dr. Jason Millar, Canada Research Chair in Ethical Engineering of Artificial Intelligence & Robotics, University of Ottawa
Invest Ottawa, together with InspiredMinds! are looking forward to bringing Ottawa to the Americas, and the Americas to Ottawa with this first-class event and networking opportunity.
Want to attend? Send me an email and I’ll send you a special Invest Ottawa promo code for a FREE ticket. I’m also happy to provide you with more information about Ottawa’s world-class applied AI ecosystem!