Nov 26 @ 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
Presented by Invest Ottawa Partner,
The legal nuts and bolts of debt and equity financing
Every entrepreneur starting a new business knows that capital is needed to start and run a business. Do you find it yourself, reach out to family and friends to borrow money or issue shares, borrow from financial institutions, or do a round of equity financing through a private placement with angel investors or venture capital firms? Every growth phase in your business may require a different approach to raising capital and this workshop will cover a number of areas of interest to rising entrepreneurs.
In this session, participants will learn:
- How to best structure your company for raising money
- Getting started…is it best to lend money to my business or should I inject capital by issuing shares?
- What steps can I take to protect myself and my company when the company is the borrower?
- What are the rights and obligations of shareholders…the role of a shareholders’ agreement?
- How do I go about raising money for my company?
- Raising capital…key documents to consider including subscription and shareholder agreements, convertible debentures.
- Ontario Securities Act compliance issues for private companies raising capital.
About the Speaker: Paul Salvatore
Paul Salvatore is a partner with Nelligan Law, and leader of the Business Law practice group. He has over 30 years of experience in Business law, and throughout his career has provided advice to a diverse range of clients including entrepreneurs and start-up companies, privately held owner-managed enterprises, not-for-profit and charitable organizations.
Paul’s practice is focused in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buy-outs, debt, private placement and venture capital financings, loan workouts and restructurings and corporate reorganizations. In all cases, Paul has provided counsel and legal solutions that have contributed to the success of his clients.
About Nelligan Law
Our mission is to keep you focused on innovating, leading, and growing your company. Nelligan law is a locally owned, multi-practice law firm, with a team of over 40 lawyers and over 50 business and support staff.
We are a one-stop-shop for businesses with a strong understanding of the unique needs of startups. We support early-stage businesses to setup including intellectual property, financing, and incorporation. As your scales, we can help you with HR, mergers and acquisitions, commercial litigation, and international expansion.
Our experienced and agile legal team is here to support you at every stage of your success.