Be your own boss this summer
Drayton Mulindabigwi Jabo has begun a boundless social enterprise
Drayton Mulindabigwi Jabo is a young creative entrepreneur who believes everything is doable. From the very start, he was just bursting with ideas on how he could make a positive change in the lives of youth, something he is extremely passionate about. With a mission and no knowledge of the social innovation world, he sought out help. This is when he discovered the summer company program organized by Invest Ottawa. It was at this time that 20today20tomorrow, his social enterprise was really born. Selling clothing to promote their mission, and with the funds collected, they funded their own projects. They began with a simple podcast to help inspire youth, but quickly evolved and started a mental health initiative that would reach as far as Saskatchewan, for now. Because of Drayton’s unceasing determination, boundless creativity, and passion to help youth, 20today20tomorrow saw the light of day, and will change many young people’s lives.
“Coming in, I had no knowledge of how the business world operates. Through their mentoring, coaching, and constant support, I was able to build something that is sustainable and that I can be proud of. This experience has given me so much confidence going forward.
Furthermore, I was able to understand the importance of networking and broaden my own network. The connections formed during this program will impact my life forever. I hope to continue on this path that they have set me on, and change, positively, as many young lives as possible.”
“Through their mentoring, coaching, and constant support, I was able to build something that is sustainable and that I can be proud of. This experience has given me so much confidence going forward.”
– Drayton Mulindabigwi Jabo, 20today20tomorrow
Program participants receive
A grant of up to $3,000
A digital community of entrepreneurial peers
One of the best summer jobs you can have
Build your business
- Propose a new business idea separate from any current family businesses.
- Prepare a business plan that shows the business can successfully launch and operate this summer.
- Learn what it takes to run a successful business through interactive workshops and hands-on coaching by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Develop skills in sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and online sales.
- Run your business; be prepared to invest 35 hours a week to operate it during the summer.
Leverage the start-up money
A grant of up to $3,000 will be awarded to successful applicants in two instalments:
- The first instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover startup costs at the beginning of the program.
- The second instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided upon successful completion of the program.
Find your community
- Meet like-minded young entrepreneurs like yourself.
- Share your passions.
- Make friends along the way.
Meet more Ottawa student entrepreneurs
Join our waitlist to receive program updates.
Apply now and be your own boss this summer
Is the Summer Company Program for you?
- Be between 15 and 29 years old.
- Currently a student and returning to school in the fall (proof of enrollment required).
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in Ontario.
- Are not already running a business.
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program.
Applications for 2021 program are open until May 23. Here is how to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program.
- Complete the online application inquiry.
- Select your local program provider.
- Assign yourself a password.
- Submit your application inquiry.
- If your application meets the program requirements, you will be instructed to complete the Summer Company business plan template and start up budget calculator.
- Once your business plan and startup budget calculator are complete and submitted, your program coordinator will invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, your program coordinator will let you know if you’ve been approved to participate in the program.