Be your own boss this summer
Timeless tailored jewelry from Amal Abed
After having been inspired by a 15-year-old girl who successfully started her own jewelry business, Amal Abed felt it was her turn to put her creativity into jewelry design. She began her journey in January 2021 by creating custom-made designs, bringing to life the beauty of pearls, gemstones and sterling silver. Amal’s business, Tota’s Gems, features unique and timeless pieces of art that reflect the wearer’s inner light.
“The skills and knowledge I acquired over the course of Summer Company supported me in starting and operating my business. Not only did I learn how to set up an e-commerce site, design a logo that reflects my brand using minimal pictures/words, manage my social media presence and organize my finance but I was able to identify my ideal audience and tailor the jewelry to my customers.
A definite highlight of my Summer Company experience was having the chance to meet so many young entrepreneurs in Ottawa who are inspiring to say the least. I am filled with gratitude for the phenomenal support I received from this program and the providers who created a nourishing environment to help our businesses flourish.”
“Not only did I learn how to set up an e-commerce site, design a logo that reflects my brand using minimal pictures/words, manage my social media presence and organize my finance but I was able to identify my ideal audience and tailor the jewelry to my customers.”
– Amal Abed, Tota’s Gems
Program participants receive
A grant of up to $3,000
A digital community of entrepreneurial peers
One of the best summer jobs you can have
Build your business
- Propose a new business idea separate from any current family businesses.
- Prepare a business plan that shows the business can successfully launch and operate this summer.
- Learn what it takes to run a successful business through interactive workshops and hands-on coaching by experienced entrepreneurs.
- Develop skills in sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and online sales.
- Run your business; be prepared to invest 35 hours a week to operate it during the summer.
Leverage the start-up money
A grant of up to $3,000 will be awarded to successful applicants in two instalments:
- The first instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided to cover startup costs at the beginning of the program.
- The second instalment of up to $1,500 will be provided upon successful completion of the program.
Find your community
- Meet like-minded young entrepreneurs like yourself.
- Share your passions.
- Make friends along the way.
Meet more Ottawa student entrepreneurs
Join our waitlist to receive program updates.
Apply now and be your own boss this summer
Is the Summer Company Program for you?
- Be between 15 and 29 years old.
- Currently a student and returning to school in the fall (proof of enrollment required).
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant residing in Ontario.
- Are not already running a business.
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program.
Applications for 2021 program are open until May 23. Here is how to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program.
- Complete the online application inquiry.
- Select your local program provider.
- Assign yourself a password.
- Submit your application inquiry.
- If your application meets the program requirements, you will be instructed to complete the Summer Company business plan template and start up budget calculator.
- Once your business plan and startup budget calculator are complete and submitted, your program coordinator will invite you for an interview.
- After the interview, your program coordinator will let you know if you’ve been approved to participate in the program.